We flew in directly from Seattle, departing mid-afternoon and arriving bright and early in the morning. The morning was that; we were not–having not achieved the necessary state of pre-departure exhaustion or inebriation to sleep enroute.
Taking the canal tour is a great orientation to Amsterdam and demands neither effort nor thought. We had been to Amsterdam last year and wanted to see something new. So, we went to the Nemo Science Museum along with hundreds of Dutch families and their happy, cute, very indulged children.
The museum has typically Dutch progressive view of personal education for children.
Emmy’s Packing List for Amsterdam
- I bought my toiletries when I got there
- Working with Celsius instead of Fahrenheit: 30 is hot, 20 is nice, 10 is cold, 0 is ice. To get to F take the C and double it and then add 30… you’re really close…subtract 3 to get more accurate.
- I Used lite nylon packing bags for different clothing categories. For example, all my T-shirts went in one bag. I rolled them instead of folded them. They kept better.
- I xeroxed all my credit and debit cards, front and back along with my drivers license and passport. This turned out to be a Godsend when my wallet was pickpocketed on the tram.
- 4 sweaters
- 4 day shirts
- 4 evening shirts
- 4 athletic/free t-shirts
- 2 running pants
- 2 running bras
- 2 pairs of running socks
- 4 pairs of day pants
- 2 pairs of evening pants
- 1 dress
- One really nice evening outfit
- 1 skirt
- Black boots, brown kicker boots, running sneakers, black flats, black evening heels
- Two Raincoats, one long and one short
- White down jacket
- 10 pairs of underwear
- 2 bras, one dress slip, one skirt slip
- 6 pairs of socks
- 2 pairs of tights, leggings
- PJs… lite night gown, flannel pjs
- Baseball hat, winter hat
- Running/biking gloves
- Travel size toiletries for the first few days
- Contact lens stuff and prescription glasses
- Reading glasses, sunglasses
- Make up
- Scissors, tape
- Electronics and necessary chargers: iPad, camera, iphone, converters, mini ipod for running, earbuds.
- Laptop and charger
- Reading: 1. Paper books 2. Guidebooks and map 3. Download e versions to iPad
- Important Documents. Passport, flight times, wallet with credit cards and cash
- Yellow Backpack.
- Small purse
- Compact-able duffle bag
- Small blanket for meditating
Things to Buy in Amsterdam
- Blow dryer
- Flat iron
- Yoga mat